Ugh, my worst implant nightmare, the broken ti base screw! In this case a patient came in, crown in hand and part is lodged within the screw retained emax crown and the rest within the implant.
Although using the native screw from the implant company you are using is NOT recommended by Sirona, I usually use it. I find that the ti base screw is really short and easy to strip. In this case I did not follow my own rules and wish I did. Fortunately Implant Direct has a screw removal tool called the SXT. As you turn it clockwise it lodges in the screw and turns it counter clock wise. In this case the head was not stripped but broken so I had to use a surgical carbide to make a purchase in the screw so that the SXT could engage. Talk about the pucker factor!
Surprisingly it was way easier than I thought. The screw was soft enough to get a grip on it and was able to remove the screw after a few attempts. Used the DEKA laser to remove excess tissue. Not I had to turn my attention to what was left in the crown.
Removed the fragment of screw from the inside of the crown. Unfortunately we sucked up the screw that was lodged in the implant. All in all better than I thought.